10 Ways to Have a Successful First Date
It is that question many single people ask themselves. The one that make people hopeful that maybe, just maybe if they nail the first date everything will fall into place just the way they wish. Well, it is true to some extent in that you can never re-do a first impression. The way that first date plays out will determine if a person will get another chance to go on another date. Now before reading this it is important to understand that nailing all this points does not guarantee a future date. However, the benefits of it include being a great date and showing that you are somewhat worthy of seeing again.
1. No Techno- It is no secret that technology has increased dramatically making it easier to access the Internet and communicate with people. However, accessing technology is a big no-no when it comes to being on a date. Do not text or answer any phone calls unless it is an emergency. It is impolite and shows that you are uninterested.
2. X Out The Exes- Unless either party asks do not bring up details of past relationships. And, even if the topic is brought up be selective in the information you share.
3. Shut Yo’ Mouth- It is common table manners to not chew with your mouth open. This is a major turnoff for both parties. For more information on the DO’s and DONT’S for table manners view the following website: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/DiningEtiquetteGuide.htm
4. R-E-S-P-E-C-T- It is important to create a foundation of trust and respect. With that said do not flirt with anyone else while on your date especially, the waiter.
5. Avoid Foulness- Do not cuss. Cursing shows a lack of intelligence for expressing one’s feelings. It is also impolite and disrespectful.
6. It Is Not All About You- As the saying goes, “It takes two to tango.” With this said do not be the only one to do the talking. It is important that one makes sure to not cut another person off when they are talking.
7. Do Not Forget Your Wallet- To both ladies and gentlemen this goes for both sides. As tradition has it men are usually required to pay on the first date. However, ladies this does not excuse you from offering to pay. Both parties should be prepared in case of an emergency.
8. Preparation A- In order to be socially successful one must always have a set of topics to talk about just in case all the “get-to-know-you-questions” has been answered.
9. Do You See What I See?- Eye contact is key when conversing. It shows that you are respectful and interested in what they have to say. Even if the topic does not necessarily excite one person in particular be considerate of each other’s feelings and ideas.
10. Give Thanks.-Thank each other for making time to spend with one another. Showing appreciation is one thing that many people yearn for and are glad to see especially after a date.
Well, there you have it ten ways to have a successful date! As stated in the introductory these tips will not necessarily guarantee a second date. It is up to the either “dater” to decide if their personality is similar to what they are looking for in a person. If a second date does not take place do not loose hope. There are plenty of other people who would be more than happy to have a date like you, especially with your exceptional date etiquette! For more tips on being a successful dater view http://www.topdatingtips.com/dating-etiquette.htm.
**written for JRN 412