Friday, October 16, 2009

favorite bible verse

"...Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."- James 1:3-4

One of my favorite verses is James 1:3-4. Though it was assigned to choose only one verse I could not help but include verse four as well with verse three. These verses are very powerful. I chose to write about this verse because I feel like this time in our life is such a beautiful yet scary time. I mean this in the sense that we are learning about who we truly are. To make it a little more complex, some of us no longer have the financial support of our parents. We are all trying to figure out our lives as a grownup now. Which is slightly ironic because, personally when I was younger I could not wait until I was an adult. But now that I have hit that point in my life I wish that I could just go back to being a kid at times.

This verse serves as a great support system when I am going through trials in my life. I often remind myself that God is always by my side and that everything he puts me through is for my benefit. A motto that I like to live by is, “What does not kill, only makes you stronger. “ This verse reflects that type of attitude. God lets us endure the trials that we go through so that we may be mature enough to handle future situations.

This verse has impacted my life in so many ways, whether it was family or relationship issues. Though the pain was not the best experience in the world this verse encouraged me to stay strong and continue to trust in God. My pastor once told the congregation that what may seem like chaos in this world is something that is perfectly orchestrated in God’s eyes. I thought that was such a beautiful analogy. We often forget that God is in control and already has our lives planned out. We get so worked up about what we are going through; and either forget or choose to ignore God’s love and mercy.

This verse can be helpful to anyone regardless of what there are going through. This verse is a reminder of God’s love. He only wants the best for us. God does not put trials in our lives to punish us but, to make us stronger advocates for Him.


**written for JRN 371

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this Bible verse. It is hard trying to figure out our lives, isn't awesome what the Bible can do for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard it said that if you have any regrets in life, you didn't learn anything. I like how God uses even the toughest circumstances for our benefit in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this verse because it reminds us what our goal is and that we do not perservere in vain.

    ReplyDelete